Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Maui the Beautiful


Our vacation in Hawaii was a very happy one, which does not make it so different from most of our other vacations. However, there was something different about Hawaii, which I felt at the time and which makes me want to go back, the horribly lengthy and inconvenient travel notwithstanding. I tried long and hard to figure out what it was and finally came up with the following scientific explanation:

Sunlight, glinting off the water (nothing but water around for thousands of miles), transforms itself into aloha and showers back down on earth, people, and things, making them glow. You can see it and feel it inside. (Apparently the glow even stays with you for a while after you leave, because my coworkers commented on it when I came back to work.) Abundance of aloha makes the landscape beautiful, the animals unafraid of humans, and the people kind. 

Hawaii is not where you are, or what you do, it is how you feel. In other words, it is not a location or event, it is a state of mind.

If you don't believe me, you'll just have to go and see for yourself.

For this, our first, visit to Hawaii, we limited ourselves to the island of Maui, where we spent 9 days. We came back with about 600 photos, which I selflessly reduced to 111. The resulting album is here.

I will refer to some of them in my trip report, but you are welcome to browse on your own.

2 comments:

  1. Maui was the one of the most memorable trips that we had. I would love to go back again and this time follow some of your recommendations! :)

    ReplyDelete