The fourth day was spent near Anchorage, driving by the Turnagain Arm coast and stopping at multiple places of interest. Also at all the little pullouts, where we wanted to stop the two previous times we drove this way - but couldn't. First, on the way from the airport to Seward, when we were in a hurry to get groceries and check into our apartment and didn't have time to stop, and then - the night before, after our ill-conceived attempt to reach Homer, when all I was thinking about is making it to our hotel in Anchorage in one piece. But both times we saw the beautiful coastline, and now finally had a chance to explore it.
We started at the Potter Marsh Boardwalk, where wildlife sightings were mostly limited to a few ducks and magpies, but the views were beautiful and we even managed to see a train passing by - which made Alik very happy.
Here are the birds we saw from the boardwalk.
We then drove south along the coast - more beautiful views!..
... and turned towards Alyeska Resort. There we first did a short hike to a double waterfall, Virgin Creek Falls trail - less than a mile total...
... and then a much longer one, called Winners Creek Trail - 5 miles through dense forest, with only a few glimpses of creek below, to the bridge and back. (I was not happy about this second hike.)
That ended up being another day with close to 9 miles of walking (22 thousand steps). I was beat.
We then took an aerial tram ride up the mountain at the Alyeska Resort (no more walking involved). I felt I was rewarded for my perseverance by the view of a full rainbow over a glacier.
There was also a cafe at the top, where we had a couple of drinks and something to eat, but because I took no photos it is hard to remember what.
> Day 5





























No comments:
Post a Comment