Sunday, September 6, 2026

Day 7: Denali bus tour

Even earlier the next morning (at 5:40am), we walked over to a hotel next door and boarded a Tundra Tour bus (the reason we had to walk over is that the tour buses do not pick up at our cabins). It was still dark and 28 degrees F... anyway. Dressing in layers is a wonderful thing. I just put on ALL the layers I brought with me, one on top of the other - when packing, I did not account for anything lower than mid-40s, which is what the weather forecast had for the duration of our trip - but I packed in some options, and turns out extra clothes can become extra layers.

Our bus was the first one inside the park - that's why the 5:40am departure - and it was so worth it! We saw the sunrise from the bus...





... and then saw lots of beautiful vistas (some of which I am posting here)... 




... and a good number of animals and birds. First, a Dall Sheep far, far out on a mountain slope - we saw it on the bus camera, and saw the actual sheep (white dot) out there on the mountain, but the driver/guide did not stay long enough for me to focus on it with my super-duper zoom and get a photo. Still, I was no too upset because I got those photos of a Dall Sheep on the last day in Anchorage, at Beluga Point.

But then, we saw a Grizzly Bear - and here I did get the photos!



Yes, a real live Grizzly Bear! Then we saw several caribou - quite close by, right next to the bus...




... and further away against the foliage.



And a moose family. Technically, the way moose families work, this is not exactly a family - mom with the baby are together and the bull is separate. But because the rut season is starting, the bull is following the female closely - in my original photo of the bull, her ears were sticking out at the bottom of the frame. So it is very likely that she will have another baby in a few months.



Of course, I wouldn't be myself if I didn't capture a few birds as well. First, a Golden Eagle flying over the mountains. All the eagles I saw earlier, in Seward and on the Kenai Peninsula, were Bald Eagles (including the Juvenile by the creek, who was still lacking the trademark white head, so at first I thought he was a Golden). But apparently, to see a Golden Eagle, you have to travel to Denali Park. Our guide confirmed this one was a Golden.


Then, there are Willow Ptarmigan, male and female...



And Spruce Grouse, here female first and then two photos of the same male, as he strutted across the road and headed away into the brush.



Finally, this is a local mammal called Ground Squirrel. Don't ask me what it is eating...

Now, here are some more views.





Denali is incredibly beautiful! 

We finished the day with a sauna and hot tub at our Crow's Nest Cabins (guests can reserve private time)... 



... and then drinks and dinner at Karstens Public House.


> Day 8


No comments:

Post a Comment